Suzdal - Museum .

Write to us SuzdalRussianRound@narod.ru

Suzdal- The regional centre of the Vladimir area worth in 37 kms to the north from Vladimir on the river Kamenke. Enters into " the Gold Ring ". There is no time - capital of the Rostov-Suzdal princedom. In today's city over 200 monuments of architecture, life of city in many respects is focused on reception and service of tourists.
The population 12.1 thousand person.

ON MAIN PAGE
CONTACT US

Suzdal

The Kremlin
Suzdal

The Monastery of the Deposition of the Virgin's Robe.17th century
Suzdal

Windmill.Wooden Architecture.
Suzdal

St Euthymus Monastery of Savior

Architecctural ensemble in the village of Kideksha.12-18th centuries.
Suzdal

The Alexander Monastery.The Holy Gate.
Suzdal

3.1.jpg
Suzdal

The Church of the Conception with a refectory .16th.
Suzdal

The Church of St.Nicholas 18th.
Suzdal

Architecctural ensemble in the village of Kideksha.12-18th centuries.
Suzdal

5.1.jpg
Suzdal

The Church of the Ascension.17th.
Suzdal

The Monastery of Intercession
Suzdal

House of middle peasant.
Suzdal

The wooden Church of St.Nicholas

On such insignificant city on the sizes as Suzdal, is necessary 4 monasteries and one Kremlin. When you go on city one of them is constantly seen, at least, moreover a little bit separately worth churches. So expression "city - museum" more than corresponds to the validity. As well as in any museum, in city "exhibits" cost. These are fine products of ancient architecture which "it is "much better", than real life. But, nevertheless, to Suzdal it is necessary to visit to see the monuments of architecture which are taking place in an excellent condition, instead of in ruins, as in many places which are not included in " the Gold Ring ".
Pages of a history
The monastery of the Intercession. Date of birth of cities which exact times of the basis is not known, it is considered the first mention which has reached us of them in any annals. In one of them it is told, that in 1024 after a poor harvest, in Suzdal and its vicinities revolt has flashed. On its suppression has arrived from then capital of Kiev itself Yaroslav Wise. The annals holds back, how Yaroslav has suppressed revolt, wisdom or force, but disorders have stopped. Probably, life in city flew peacefully and rather richly till 1024, differently we about existence of city would find out earlier. Or, city of Suzdal at this time as such did not exist yet, and this name was understood only as district. The fertile grounds around settled down, numerous fields adjoined to woods, flew речка. Nearby there were also trading ways. In a word, all conditions for silent prosperity in the bear corner of the Kiev Russia, in one thousand kilometers from capital. So proceeded till 1054 when legendary the governor of Kiev has departed in the world other. Children Jaroslava divided all fraternally. Suzdal, Rostov, Beloozersk and many other things brother Vsevolod, and grandson Vladimir, more known as has received later has inherited the Monomove. The monomove has given Suzdal Mstislav, but that has prefered Novgorod. Eventually, the city appeared at Jury Vladimirovicha Dolgorukogo. In the meantime " big princes " have arranged bloody disassemblies (1096) on an agrarian question. Prince Oleg Chernigov has attempted on мономашие the grounds and has grasped their fair piece. Having found out, that Mstislav has thrown all and goes from Novgorod to him on a meeting to understand, Oleg has receded, resembling having burnt defenceless Suzdal. " Validity ", as always has triumphed, the grounds have returned to owners, but the city should be built up anew. However in ten years the city had problems. This time from Volga came Bulgarians, have devastated vicinities, have besiegedSuzdal. Time Мономаха has come to come off from has put and to put things in order (1108) on the Suzdal grounds. Some time after small Yura has grown up and became strong prince, the master of the Rostov-Suzdal princedom. In 1125 he has transferred his capital from Rostov to Suzdal, and the residence has constructed in Kideksha (5 kms from city). Around of city Jury has erected earthen shaft with an oak palings, and around of these strengthenings were dug digues, informed with Kamenka. Soon after Jury's death he was poisoned after has carried out the dream and has grasped Kiev) the capital of a princedom is transferred to Vladimir, but Suzdal continues to grow, around of him new monasteries are under construction, strengthenings are updated.
The Monastery of Intercession The Over-the Gate Church .XVI in. However, strengthenings appear powerless against mongolo-tatar hordes, especially when to be at war on them there is nobody. Mongols went widely and have attacked at once on Vladimir and Suzdal (1238). The home guard of the last was at this time in a campaign from which and has not returned. The city was seized, burnt, and people are in part killed, in part captivated. Some time the city rendered tribute independently, and in 1392 the Moscow prince receives from the Mongolian khan the right on management of Suzdal. Obviously, khan had problems with gathering a tribute from fine administrative formations, and he has engaged in association of the Russian grounds. Since then the city for ever loses the independence, but rest does not find. Hordes of aggressors periodically continue to attack Suzdal, causing to itsignificant damage. In 16 century in city stone construction amplifies, here personally there comes Ivan Terribl. Both that and another testifies to the high status of Suzdal. 17 century began from city unsuccessfully. In 1611 after semi-annual осады Suzdal collapses the польско-Lithuanian interventionists led by Lisovskiy. In 1634 experiences an attack of the Crimean Tatars. And in 1644 city give... In dower to prince Danish Voldemar , to the future husband of tsarevna Irina. Completes business of ruin of city the plague (1654) which have exterminated almost half of all population.
Gallery Pokrovskogo of a cathedral monastery of the Intercession. XVI in. The period of blossoming of city begins with the end of 17 centuries. Monasteries put on stone walls, numerous stone cathedrals are erected. Around Savior a monastery the wall had 12 towers! At the end of one century of 18-th, at Ekaterina Great, the new plan of city (1788) which obviously testifies to occurrence of such drawing tool as rulers is established. On a map of Suzdal there are rectangular quarters and long direct streets. At that time the city had 17 tanning, 3 brick and 7 malt factories, silk factory and 138 shops. Cultural establishments were submitted by 4 monasteries, 12 drinkable houses and 34 churches. All this together promoted the further growth of city, down to 1862. That year has entered in build the railway bypassing Suzdal by the side. The city appeared not at has put. Already in relatives to us days, in 60th years of 20-th century were accepted the decisions, called to make Suzdal tourist Mecca. Many monuments have restored, отреставрировали, have constructed a necessary tourist infrastructure. The stream of tourists, really, one time was rather great. In the beginning of 90th years of 20-th century this stream has essentially decreased, however recently Suzdal again becomes a popular place of realization of days off. Probably, in the fast future tourism again will start to bring to city the appreciable income.
The Kremlin. When I have seen for the first time the Virgin - christmas cathedral it seemed to me, that I can all day, not coming off to look at his(its) dark blue domes. (Has passed less than 10 years and their color has transformed beyond recognition.) The cathedral worth in the middle of the Kremlin, was constructed in 12 century. However later it was reconstructed, and we can see itsuch what it was, since 1530 when under the order of Moscow king Vasily III, a cathedral have restored after attack of the Kazan khan. The cathedral also is known for the " Golden entry ". Shutters of a gate are divided into squares, in each of which are submitted subject a picture. Age of a gate about 700 years. In due time they were richly inlaid with gold. A gate are established in the western and southern portals of a cathedral. Walls of a cathedral are decorated decorative with columns and a groove on a stone. To approach to a cathedral, it is necessary to go inside of a belt of walls of the Kremlin which seem very low, insufficient for protection of city. Other business powerful strengthenings Спасо-Евфимьева of a monastery! Around of the Kremlin the rests of the ancient earthen shaft few subject to destructive influence of time here and there were kept. Today in territory of the Kremlin the museum which borrows some premises, including Архиерейские chambers - a residence of a spiritual management settles down. By scope of a construction, local bishops disposed of the big money. In 1635 in territory of the Kremlin have erected belfry - very massive and low construction. It incorporates with pontiff apartments gallery so the maximumclergy could reach to a place of work not leaving on street. Opposite to the Kremlin, on other coast Kamenka, the museum of wooden architecture, rather curious settles down. The majority of its exhibits are interesting, but their relative positioning leaves to wish the best. St Euthymus Monastery of Savior 16 th century.
St Euthymus Monastery of Savior In 1352 to the north from city centre on high coast Kamenka was based man's St Euthymus a monastery. It was made under the order of Suzdal-Nizhniy Novgorod prince Konstantin. The monastery reflected as a fortress and was originally enclosed with a wooden wall (it is destroyed by Poles). Today's reddish brick walls of a monastery were erected 4 years with 1640 on 1644. Powerful strengthenings have 12 towers constructed in view of opportunities of the artillery which have appeared at that time. When value of a monastery as fortresses has lost sense, of it have found new application - it became prison. To prisoners the most brutal punishments, and a place it were applied began to use by bad glory. In 1905 prison have abolished. All complex of constructions of a monastery is in an excellent condition. Behind walls economic and inhabited constructions, a belfry are hidden The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Saviou. Presently the belfry is completely restored, and on it bells again hang. If will carry, it is possible to get on a concert (usually about 3 o'clock in the afternoon). At walls of a monastery prince Pozharsky is buried. Funeral of him were held in 1642, and a gravestone which is established on a tomb, was build already in 1974. On other coast Kamenka, opposite to man's St Euthymus a monastery, in 1364 was based female Intercession a monastery. The monastery was used as a place of the reference for women of notable surnames and even wives of grand dukes. The history of its blossoming is extremely tragic and, in our opinion, is worthy the detailed description .Local residents tell a legend, that between monasteries the underground course which was made by monks and cloistresses for meetings with each other was. " For certain known detail " affirms even such, that women have dug 2/3 ways, and men only 1/3. But the statement about presence in a monastery of other underground construction - prisons is absolutely truthful.

Hosted by uCoz